IMI L2 Award Electric/Hybrid Vehicles Routine Maintenance Activities
This course is specifically designed for those people who may encounter Electric/ Hybrid vehicles within a routine maintenance situation. It also contains the knowledge and skills required to work safely around a vehicle that may have had damage to its high energy/electrical system.
This qualification offers an introduction to this specialised industry sector which in addition to complimenting their current industry qualifications and experience, will enable technicians to continue to work safely within their role.
Technicians will gain knowledge of both low and high voltage technologies and an understanding of the dangers surrounding Electric/ Hybrid vehicles and the precautions to take to avoid potential injury to themselves and others.
The content of this qualification has been designed to give the technicians the knowledge and skills required to work safely on Electric/Hybrid vehicles whilst carrying out routine maintenance and repair activities (not voltage components or systems). This may include vehicles that may have or had damage to their high energy/electrical system.
It contains one mandatory unit covering knowledge of:
- Electric/Hybrid vehicle system components and operation
- Hazards surrounding Electric/Hybrid Vehicles
- How to reduce the risks to yourself and others when working on electric hybrid vehicles
- Safely preparing the vehicle when carrying out routine maintenance (NOT high voltage components or systems)
- Know the correct procedures required prior to removing and/or replacing high energy electrical system components
- Know how to correctly isolate and re-connect live high energy electrical supplies such as batteries, capacitors and motors
- Know the levels of current and voltage that present a hazard and describe the effects of alternating and direct current on humans
- Know and demonstrate the appropriate methods to isolate safely the high energy electrical system and carry out a safe method to re-instate the vehicle following the manufacturer’s instructions
- Know the correct method of connection of an alternative power source (if permissible) to an electrically propelled/hybrid vehicle for the purpose of jump starting and/or charging the vehicle
- Be able to work safely on an Electric/ Hybrid vehicle
Assessment & Certification
Awarding Body: Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI)
A: Online Test, Oral Assessments and Practical Assessments
C: IMI – L2 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicles Routine Maintenance Activities (ID No: 603/1466/7)
Course Programme Details
Group size 4-6 (2-day Course Inc Registration, Examination & Certification)
Lunch & Refreshments provided
Delivery On site/Off-site: Off-site Delivery at NLGGTA Facility Enfield
Cost £400 per Candidate
L3 Award Electric/Hybrid Vehicle System Repair and Replacement
This course only provides the knowledge and skills required to work on non-live high energy electrical components and associated systems.
This unit assumes an already good level of electrical understanding but does not prove that someone is competent to work on the high energy electrical system and does not enable a candidate to dismantle ‘live’ components such as battery packs.
This unit does not cover commercial or domestic electrical installations.