IMI L3 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle System Repair and Replacement
This course is specifically designed as a follow on from the previous course (IMI L2 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle Routine Maintenance Activities: 603/1466/7).
This course is aimed towards a technician that might maintain and repair Electric/ Hybrid vehicles and contains the knowledge of the dangers surrounding vehicles and the precautions to take to avoid potential injury to themselves and others. In particular it contains the knowledge and skills for a technician to work safely in and around a vehicle’s high & low voltage electrical system and electric drive train system whilst carrying out repairs or maintenance that are not related to the high energy electrical system.
This course is aimed at Individuals who already have appropriate vehicle maintenance and repair knowledge and skills at Level 3.
The content of this qualification has been designed to give the learners the knowledge and skills required to work safely on Electric/Hybrid vehicles whilst carrying out diagnostic, testing and repair activities. This may include vehicles that may have or had damage to their high energy/electrical system.
It contains two mandatory units EV2.2 and EV3.
EV2.2 covers all of the skills and knowledge from the IMI Level 2 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicles Routine Maintenance Activities and EV3 covers skills in:
- Working safety on an Electric/Hybrid Vehicle
- Using information to carry out the task
- Carrying out repairs on high energy electrical systems
- Recording information and making suitable recommendations
- Know and demonstrate the correct procedures required prior to removing and/or replacing high energy electrical system components
- Know and demonstrate how to correctly isolate and re-connect live high energy electrical supplies such as batteries, capacitors and motors
- Know the levels of current and voltage that present a hazard and describe the effects of alternating and direct current on humans
- Know any appropriate procedures to correctly reset the vehicle systems after repair such as clearing fault codes and resetting readouts
- Know and demonstrate the appropriate methods to isolate safely the high energy electrical system and carry out a safe method to re-instate the vehicle following the manufacturer’s instructions
- Know the correct method of connection of an alternative power source (if permissible) to an electrically propelled/hybrid vehicle for the purpose of jump starting and/or charging the vehicle
- Know correct component replacement procedures
- Be able to work safely on an Electric/ Hybrid vehicle
Assessment & Certification
Awarding Body: Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI)
A: Online Test, Oral Assessments and Practical Assessments
C: IMI – L3 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicle System Repair and Replacement (ID No: 603/1468/0)
Course Programme Details
Group size 4-6 (2-day Course Inc Registration, Exam & Certification)
Lunch & Refreshments provided
Delivery On site/Off-site: Off-site Delivery at NLGGTA Facility Enfield
Cost £600 per Candidate*
*Discounts may apply, contact North London Garages for further details
L4 Award Diagnosis Testing and Repair of Electric/Hybrid Vehicles and Components
This course only provides the knowledge and skills required to work on non-live high energy electrical components and associated systems and should only be undertaken after the successful completion of IMI L2 Award in Electric/Hybrid Vehicles Routine Maintenance Activities.
This unit assumes an already good level of electrical understanding but does not prove that someone is competent to work on the high energy electrical system and does not enable a candidate to dismantle ‘live’ components such as battery packs.